Sunday, August 28, 2005

flash forward: two many irons in the fire

A quick jump ahead in time to today (Sunday at 2:19 pm.)

In an attempt to prepare for a meeting of all the adopting families, Patrice accidently and unknowingly plugged in an average American curling iron rated for 120 volts into an outlet carrying 220 volts. As I emerged from the shower I was greeted with the smell of melting plastic and the sight of a rapidly disintegrating appliance. To Patrice's credit, she had plugged it in to the American three bang multi-plug/unconverted receptical I had created for devices which already have transformers. I had not explained this to her. The curling iron metal was hot when I touched it. Patrice is now taking this post as dictation as my hand is now in a bucket of ice which was ordered from room service who requires a tip and was held from entering the room to disguise the odiferous remnants of the nearly averted hotel fire jk jk. Now we have to dispose of the evidence in downtown Wuhan and hopefully not get charged for the melted carpet. More later...

2 Comments:

At 5:50 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a way to start my Sunday! Today is the first day we could read your blogs since you told us you arrived in china. What a week you've had! I hope your hands isn't too burned, Chris! All is well here. The 30th party was a huge success. Tomorrow we rare off to the State Fair. We miss you terribly, Peeps. The place is DEFINITELY not the same. I'm can't wait for your tomorrow! We think about you everyday. LOVE YOU. MH

 
At 10:46 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

i've been enjoying your blog and adventure - i am so excited for you. thank you for sharing this, it is inspirational! - amy abts

 

Post a Comment

<< Home